Capcom Retro Game Collection Vol. 2, (SLPM-87360)
Capcom Generation Vol. 2: Makai to Kishi contains the first three titles of the Ghosts ‘n Goblins (Makaimura) series.
* Ghosts ‘n Goblins (Makaimura)
* Ghouls ‘n Ghosts (Dai Makaimura)
* Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts (Cho Makaimura)
– Ghosts ‘n Goblins is a platform game where the player controls a knight, named Arthur, who must defeat zombies, demons and other un-dead creatures in order to rescue Princess Prin Prin. Along the way the player can pick up new weapons, bonuses and extra suits of armor that can help in this task. The game is often considered very difficult by arcade standards and is commonly regarded as one of the most difficult games released for the NES. If the player loses a life, he is returned to the start of the level, or the halfway point if he has managed to get that far. Furthermore, each life can only last a certain length of time (generally around three minutes), the clock being reset at the start of a level. If the clock does run out, the player instantly loses that life.
– Ghouls ‘n Ghosts is a platform game/run and gun developed by Capcom and released as an arcade game in 1988, and subsequently ported to a number of other platforms. It is the sequel to Ghosts ‘n Goblins, and forerunner to the Super NES game Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts.
The game-play for Ghouls n’ Ghosts is similar to that of Ghosts ‘n Goblins. The player controls the knight Arthur, who must advance through a series of eerie levels and defeat a number of un-dead and demonic creatures in his quest to restore the souls stolen by Lucifer (Loki in the English-language Sega Genesis and Sega Master System versions), including the soul of his lover, Princess Prin Prin. Along the way, Arthur can pick up a variety of weapons and armor to help him in his quest.
While the core game-play remains the same as its predecessor, the game now allows Arthur to fire directly upward and directly downward.
By jumping in certain spots, players can cause a treasure chest to erupt from the ground. By firing his weapon at the chest, players may uncover new weapons, gold armor or an evil magician that changes Arthur into an elderly man or a helpless duck. The gold armor allows players to charge up the weapon to release a powerful magical attack. Each weapon has its own special attack. (more…)